Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 070 - Candles by Victoria March Haul


Currently Burning: Raspberry Guava



I wasn't planning on placing an order for March. Since I placed 2 in February and ended up with a TON of scent shots, I put myself on a "candle freeze" until April (not necessarily out of financial necessity - just because my stash has gotten out of control...). However, I gave myself a caveat: if Victoria was having a least a 20% off sale I would place an order. As I was watching the review videos on YouTube of those that were selected as scent reviewers for the month of March, I saw that there would be a 20% off sale for the month of March. You're killing me with these sales Victoria!!!

Since I had already planned my next 5 orders in advance wasn't prepared for the sale, I had to sit down an plot my order. I woke up early on Thursday and my order was placed at about 7:50AM CST on March 1st (she started the sale a few minutes early). I woke up early because I know how it is to be at the bottom of the totem pole on a sale day and I did not want that to happen again. I was expecting about a 3-5 day turnaround, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a shipping notification the next day!!! My package arrived this past Tuesday.


I've switched to having my packages shipped to my workplace rather than my apartment for 2 reasons. 1) I remember seeing on the message board that it's cheaper for Victoria to ship to commercial sites as UPS doesn't charge as much. Since she graciously offers flat rate shipping (I know my packages would be crazy expensive if she didn't) I thought I would switch over to shipping to work to help her out. 2) I HATE waiting on the UPS truck and accidentally missing my package. I've had to drive to the next town over to the UPS store multiple times to pick up a package because I was too impatient to wait the extra day. No chance of that happening at work!


Once again I ripped the package open, destroying the wonderful packing job to get to the goodies   had removed the packing materials before I could take pictures. The above is a re-creation for the sake of this blog. I love getting the postcards in the box because they're great to hand out to people who've never heard of CBV before.

I'm going to go at this a little different than I usually do. Rather than just listing the scents, I'll give sort of a "first impressions/cold throw" review. Full reviews will be posted as part of my daily scent reviews. 


I ordered the 6 pack No Frills Sampler in the following scents (colors are AWESOME btw)

Kimono Silk (new to me): This is one of two in this pack that I had never tried before. This was the name-that-scent winner for the month of February. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm not really getting much out of the scent yet (mostly citrus and rose), so I'm hoping that after curing/warming it will get better.

Sugared Corn Pudding (reorder): Review located at the bottom of the post here

Sophie Belle (reorder): Review located at the bottom of the post here

Tokyo Spring (reorder): Review located at the bottom of the post here

Banana Coconut Cream Pie (reorder): Review located at the bottom of the post here

White Nectarine & Pink Coral (new to me): I got this one because it has been getting a ton of love on the message board. I'm so glad I jumped the gun and got this one in a full size candle! It smells SO good to me. I smell mostly peach and a floral note on cold throw, but I'm sure the other notes will come out once warmed. I'm excited for this one to finish curing!!


Next, I picked up a 4 oz mini jelly jar.

Blushing Peaches (new to me): This was one of the new scents from February as well. This was also smells like peaches, but not the same peach that's in WN&PC. This is a smoother peach. I can also pick up the strawberry and vanilla notes in the background. This one's going to be really nice when burning!


Since the sale was 20% off, I caved and got 2 Black Label candles. I know from having 2 other Black Label candles that they're incredibly difficult to describe and take quite awhile to cure to their full potential.

Harvey Wallbanger (new to me): This one has an extremely light smell to me right now. I'm having to really rub the top to even get anything out of it at first. I can get some maple, spices, and a hint of coconut right now. This one is going on the shelf for a few weeks to cure for sure, because what I can smell from it is amazing!

007 (new to me): I was hesistant to try this one at first because it's described as "spa-like." I'm not typically a huge fan of clean fragrances, because they can be WAY too strong for me. I'm so glad that I changed my mind, because this candle smells AWESOME! It doesn't smell clean like a cleaning product, but more like clothes that have been air dried on a clothesline. It reminds me of having the window open in late spring. This may become my favorite Black Label candle - however it does need a time out on the shelf for a few weeks to be sure :D


Finally the scent shots. I ordered 5 plus the free one to make 6 total. All these scents are new to me.

Lemon Vanilla - When I first got this one out of the box I did not like it because it smelled like lemongrass to me. Now that I've had it almost a week it smells like Lemonheads candy. I know the vanilla note will come out more once warmed (those tend to hide on cold throw) so I'm excited for this one!

White Ginger - I was also hesitant to try this one because for some reason I thought it would smell herbal. Totally not the case (I didn't realize until after I got it that white ginger is a flower lol) This smells really pretty. The floral note is not strong in it and I'm really excited to see how the throw is.

Lavender & Basil - This smells like straight up soap right now. Dish washing detergent, hand soap, body wash, etc. I have a feeling that this might be a little too much for me once warmed, but we'll see.

Cinnamon Donuts - I debated getting the Dough Nut Shop candle, but I didn't want to commit to a large candle without smelling the scent first. This one smells SO good so I probably should have gone with the Bake Shoppe version. True to its name, it smells like a package of cinnamon donuts. Right now, I'm starting to get a little bit of red hot cinnamon (which I'm not a huge fan of) but I'm hoping that goes away once melted.

Raspberry Zinger - This is a 50/50 mixture of Raspberry and Key Lime. It's very tart and I love it! Lime scents have really been doing it for me lately, so this one may become a favorite!

Orange Vanilla (Free Scent Shot) - This one has been on my list for awhile so I was glad to see it thrown is as my freebie! It smells like orange ice cream to me. The vanilla really tones down the harshness of the citrus. I'm excited to melt this one too!

Overall this was a great order. I was able to stock up on some favorites as well as discover some new favorites! Even though my stash is ridiculous right now (at least for me) I'm glad that I got to order for March. I've become one of those crazy CBV addicts and I love every minute of it!!!

Now onto the daily review!



Raspberry Guava (4): With spring right around the corner I'm getting excited by burning some fruity and floral scents!! This one is so nice. It reminds me of the berry flavored life savors. I can totally see myself having a large candle in this scent. The throw on it is pretty good too!

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

3 comments:

  1. Jason, I absolutely love your blog. You give such great reviews & your dedication to your blog is amazing! Great review as always...you've made me put quite a few scents on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reviews and your blog. You've also convinced me to bump a few scents up on my wishlist.

    I really think I'll need to give White Nectarine and Pink Coral a try. I've been hesitant because the way many people describe it seems like it might be clean smelling, but as you said you don't like clean smells either but you like this, I'll have to try it. :)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your blog! It's so cute and creative. You did a great job reviewing the scents. I love Sugared Corn Pudding as well. I'm going to try Tokyo Spring in my next order. : )

    ReplyDelete