Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 052 - Pineapple Upside-down Cake


Currently Burning: Happy



For today's Tasty Tuesday, I decided to try a recipe that a friend from undergrad Tara posted on Taste of Arkansas. The recipe was a little more complicated that I originally thought but I decided to give it a go.



First preheat the oven to 350 degrees and begin buttering a cake pan. I went with a 10 inch cake pan, but I think next time I'll go with a 9 inch instead.



In an electric mixer, cream together 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter (room temperature) and 1 cup of sugar.  Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 large egg yolks to the mixture and beat until combined.



Sift 1 1/2 cups of flour into a large mixing bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.



Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the electric mixer and blend well. Add 1/4 of a cup of milk and mix well. Add the next 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by another 1/4 cup of milk mixing well after each. Add the final 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until just combined.



Transfer the batter to the mixing bowl used to prepare the flour and clean out the electric mixer. In the electric mixer, add 2 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tarter. Beat until stiff peaks form.



Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.



To create the topping, add 1/2 of a stick of unsalted butter cut into small chunks to a medium saucepan. Add 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar and allow to simmer until bubbles begin to form around the edge.



Pour the brown sugar and butter mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Add pineapple rings on top of the topping. If you'd like, you can add maraschino cherries to the middle of the rings.



Finally pour the cake batter over the top and smooth it out with the back of a spatula.



Bake at 350 until golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the pan. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.



Once the cake has cooled, flip it out of the pan and onto a plate. I got a little impatient with mine and flipped it out before the pan had fully cooled (hence the sloppy looking top).

The cake tastes AMAZING! I was a little bummed because I took mine out of the oven too soon and the middle wasn't quite done yet, but it still tastes great :) Definitely going to become a staple. Thanks Tara!

Now onto the daily review!



Happy (2): This is a dupe for the Clinique Happy Perfume. I don't really remember what this perfume smells like so I can't really tell if it's the same. I'm not a huge fan of this and the throw is extremely light. I had to lean really close to my warmer to even smell it. Definitely not reordering this one.

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

1 comment: