Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 105 - Round Robin #8 Review


Currently Burning: Kimono Silk


I was so excited to be able to participate in Round Robin #8. For those of you that don't know, a Round Robin is essentially a tart swap on the Pouring Pot (CBV Message Board). Someone decides to start a Round Robin and posts asking if anyone is interested. They typically run with about 15 people (so they aren't going for months and months). The only thing it requires is one person to organize it (collect addresses, determine the order, and notify people of the address of the next person in line) and another person to start it. Round Robin #8 was organized and started by the same person (Allison) so that's possible too. You need about 30 or so scent shots to start the box. 

The box is a medium, flat-rate box (USPS) to keep the cost of shipping down. The rules are that the amount of wax you take out, you have to put back in. For example, if you take out two 1/2 scent shots, then you can add back 1 whole scent shot to make up for it. It's really cool because you get to try a bunch of new scents and only have to pay the cost of shipping.

There were 36 different scents when I got the box. Of those, I had probably only tried about 1/3. I was able to pull 15 new ones that I was wanting to try. When I sent the box back out it had 42 unique scents. Here's my list of scents I pulled along with the cold reaction:

Bouquet (House Blends) - Mixture of Sweet Pea and Magnolia. On cold I mostly get the magnolia, but it's definitely toned down by the sweet pea.


Three Wise Men (Christmas) - Frankincense, myrrh, patchouli, and sandalwood. Very earthy but still reminds me of the holidays.


Kim's Country Cornbread (Bakery)- Smells similar to Fresh Baked Bread, but I can tell it's definitely a sweet corn bread. Buttery and is 1/2 of Cajun Cornbread (which is the top layer of Momma's Peach Cobbler).


Reese's Peanut Butter (Bakery) - the best peanut butter scent that I've smelled from Victoria with just a hint of chocolate.


Sweet Talk (Perfume) - Victoria's Secret dupe. Smells mostly like a tart raspberry with a few other fruits.


Why I Autumn (House Blends) - this smells strongly of anise (licorice) to me. There's also some woody notes in the background but I don't really get apple or lemon.


Carrot Cake Orange Delight (Bakery) - Much sweeter version of Carrot Cake. Whereas carrot cake is very spicy, this is sweetened up by the orange and cinnamon strudel.


Papaya Waterlily (Fruity) - Similar to Cantaloupe Lily. Description lists coconut, peach, pineapple, apple, orange, and banana. Not sure if the description is mixed up because it definitely smells like papaya and waterlily. Very sweet fruity/floral.


Fresh Linens (House Blends) - Eucalyptus, Gardenia, and Rain. I mostly get the Rain scent with a hint of Eucalyptus. Doesn't really smell like laundry.


Moonlight Path (Perfume) - Bath and Body Works dupe. Mixture of sunflower and musk. I get mostly musk with a hint of floral.


Summer Nites (Earthy) - smells slightly powdery with a hint of fruit (banana maybe). Reminds me of the Circus Peanuts candy!


Nut House aka Pistachio Pudding Cake (House Blends) - Nice and smooth custard. I'm not a huge fan of pistachio, but this is really good on cold throw!


Pumpkin Frappuccino (Bakery) - smells like Starbucks in the Fall. The pumpkin and coffee are blended beautifully!


Cranberry Relish (Bakery) - Smells kind of like generic hard candy. I definitely get some berry, but I'm not really getting any apple.


Breakfast in Vermont (Bakery) - this one also has the fresh baked bread note hiding in the background, but I also get caramel, white chocolate, and maple. Yummy!

Overall a pretty good haul! My video review of these is posted below.



Now onto the daily review!


Kimono Silk (3): This was a new scent back in February. I like this a LOT better when it's burning than on cold throw. However, it's still not one of my favorites. It's a fruity/floral with some musk in the background. It smells a lot like rose to me with a hint of some citrus and peach. The throw is medium on this one. I probably won't be reordering this candle, but it is nice.

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment