Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 126 - Black Label Jars


Currently Burning: Banana Nut Bread



Finally get to resume my Jar series! The Black Label jar is 14 oz of wax. It's a pretty heavy jar because the glass on it is rather thick. It isn't really tapered at all and makes a really nice container for the top shelf fragrances. The lid isn't a screw top like her normal candles, but rather has some plastic around the edges to help it make a seal you pop on. 

To give you a sense of scale, the mouth on the jar is about 1/4 of an inch wider than the 16 oz jars and they're about the same height. The Black Label jars have about an inch or so of glass at the bottom of the jar whereas the 16oz jars do not (hence the extra 2 oz of wax).

While it isn't my favorite jar to burn, I have found a pretty good way to get an even wax pool. I tend to leave my wicks pretty long on these jars, because I have found that if I trim them super short, it can be almost impossible to get a full even melt pool. It seems like the wax in these candles is a little harder than Victoria's normal wax as well (may not be the case...just seems that way). They will correct themselves even if you do get some tunneling though. Longer wicks can tend to smoke with CBV candles so it's a trade off for a faster full melt pool vs smoking wicks. I'll take the smoking wicks personally.

With longer wicks it took probably about 2-3 hours to get a full melt pool. Shorter wicks and it was 8+ hours (hence why I quit trimming them super short). Essentially now I just trim off the mushroom at the top and it's good to go. If the wick is over 1/2 an inch then I'll trim it down, but I tend to leave them longer. I do not trim them when I first get them anymore either because the first burn will set the tone for how the candle will go (unless you want to spend some time correcting it).

Like I said, not my favorite jar, but it does fit the Black Label line nicely. Plus the label and lid are really nice touches.

Happy Cinco de Mayo ;)

Now onto the daily review!



Banana Nut Bread (4): This one isn't dead on for banana nut bread to me. It is a really sweet banana bakery, but there's just something about it that doesn't scream banana nut bread. Part of it might be that the banana in it is that banana runts smell. Also I don't really get much of a nut smell...smells like Banana runts bread lol. The throw is decent though. I don't think I'll repurchase this candle, but it is nice every once in awhile.

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment