Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 182 - Black Label Overview

Currently Burning: Enchanted Forest


I thought that for today's CBV Saturday I would do a complete overview of the Black Label line. I have all 13 of them now in candle form and have burned them at least once. I'll do this from those that I like the least to those that I like the most.

GOOD

Tuxedo (2): This is another one of the cologne fragrances. This is similar to Brandy Alexander, but it isn't as strong or spicy. I would say this is more of a dad's cologne whereas Brandy Alexander is more of a grandfather's cologne. Not bad, but not my favorite. 
Brandy Alexander (3): This is an older man's cologne type smell. It reminds me of like an Old Spice type. Very woodsy and the throw isn't very strong. One that I probably won't be repurchasing, but it is nice every once in awhile. 

Earthquake (3): This one smells like kitchen spices, but it's not bakery. It's more like something cooking on the stove top. I primarily get nutmeg and all spice in this one. Not bad, but definitely not my favorite black label.
Alabama Slamma (3): This one is super strong! The predominant note I get is hickory, which is awesome because it totally takes me back to when my dad would smoke ham with hickory chips. There's also some bakery notes in there but overall I would put this in the earthy category. Not sure if I would reorder it, but I do love Black Label candles :)

GREAT


Bonsai (4): This one is really good warmed up! It smells like a very doughy pudding. Kind of like Bread pudding without the spices or a rice pudding. It's extremely sweet and I was surprised at how strong it threw!! The vanilla blossoms don't make it smell like a straight up rice pudding, but a sweetened up version.

Salty Dog (4): This one smells like Juicy Fruit! There's also a hint of apple and cinnamon in it, but mostly I get the Juicy Fruit gum note. The throw is pretty good on this one, but isn't too strong. 
Harvey Wallbanger (4): This would be rated as a 5 if it had a stronger throw. It's really good though. I get some maple and sweetness out of it. I wouldn't necessarily say maple syrup, but maybe like maple frosting. It's really good and I can't see anyone not liking it. 
Mojito (4): The throw on this one isn't very strong. It smells like lemon-lime candy and something else that I can't quite figure out. It's nice, but probably not my favorite black label. 
Moulin Rouge (3): This one is super complex. It's like a spicy bakery with some woody notes as well. The description is a mile long and includes a TON of different fragrances. I'm having a hard time picking out individual scents, but it definitely has a sweet, cake note, some woody notes, and some kitchen spices. The throw is fairly decent on it, but it could be stronger. 

AMAZING


Godfather (4): This is one of Victoria's Black Label candles. It's a pretty spicy candle with a pumpkin note in it. She lists clove, cardamom, ginger, mace, cinnamon, and nutmeg as the spices in it. It also has a background of vanilla. I really like this one. I think it's a great cold weather scent without being too tied to the holidays. It doesn't smell at all like pumpkin pie, but I do get pumpkin and vanilla. The spices round it out nicely. It doesn't really smell like food to me though. I can't place exactly what it smells like, but it's nice.
Singapore Sling (5): This is what lemon pound cake is supposed to smell like. It's got that buttery pound cake that dominates the scent, with the lemon support in the base. Probably jumped to my favorite Black Label! Can't be without this scent.

007 (5): This is an amazing spa scent. It's a little lighter than I normally like my candles to be, but the scent definitely makes up for it. I can't really pick out individual notes because it's so well blended. It is really relaxing and would be the perfect scent to light with a bath. I will most likely be reordering this one!

Manhattan (5): This is the 2nd Black Label candle that I've tried. This one couldn't be more different from Godfather, but I love it as well! It's a powdery, floral, musky type of scent. Based on the 2 Black Labels that I've tried so far, I've found that I really love complex scents. Even if I'm not a huge fan of the type of scent, the fact that one note isn't dominating the scent really draws me in. I'm going to have to try all of the Black Label line to see if this is consistent, but so far I'm impressed! It does seem to have a lighter throw than Godfather, but the scent definitely lingers in the room!


Video





Now onto the daily review!



Enchanted Forest (4): This is a great minty, woodsy scent. It also has some sweetness from strawberry and raspberry. I get more sandalwood than patchouli in it, but mint is definitely the strongest note. 

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment