Friday, December 30, 2011

Introduction / How my CBV Obsession Began

Currently Burning: Spellbound

Going to try something new for 2012, and I thought I would get the Introduction out of the way first. My name is Jason Hogan. I'm currently 25 and live in Northwest Arkansas. The purpose of this blog is to track my Candles by Victoria obsession, and give me a creative outlet to try something new. I've been a fan of CBV scents for about 2 and a half years. I made my first purchase in May of 2009, but I wasn't really hooked until the summer of 2010.

I really started getting into scents in 2008. One of my co-workers began selling Scentsy, and to help her out, I made a few purchases. I wasn't crazy about Scentsy, and I only had a small plug-in for the wall. One of my other obsessions at the time was watching YouTube videos. 2008 was the year of the collab channels with many of the ones I watched starting at that time. In addition to collab channels I began watching another type of channel.

Even though I'm a guy, and I do not wear make up, for some reason beauty gurus on YouTube really appealed to me. I could watch makeup tutorials for hours at a time. In 2009, a few beauty gurus (allthatglitters21, tiffanyD, etc) started posting about Candles by Victoria. Of course, I had never heard of this company, because it is a small family-owned business run out of Van, TX. From Elle's video, I decided to try "Honey I Washed the Youngin's" and I got a set of heart-shaped tarts.  When I got the tarts, the first thing I noticed was how strongly these smelled. I also noticed that the wax was very different from the Scentsy wax. I tried burning one of the tarts in my scentsy warmer and it was a disaster. At that point, I wasn't really excited about it and I put away the scents and didn't think about it again for about a year.

I'm not exactly sure how I got back on to ordering, but in June 2010, I placed my second order. This time, I wanted to make sure I could actually burn the scent, so I purchased a tart warmer. I noticed that Victoria had added some Twilight scents, and I was very curious to see what these actually smelled like. I ordered 2 scent shots and with every order Victoria throws in a free scent shot. I went for Jacob Black (was going through a Taylor Lautner phase - don't judge me) and I LOVED it! I also got Pink Grapefruit, which was ok to me, but did not really give off that strong of a throw. My free scent shot was Magnolia Blossom. At the time, I hated it (actually thinking about going back and seeing if it was really as bad as I remember it, because I think I may have just been too harsh :/).

After that order, I knew I had to try the other Twilight scents so I grabbed those and a sampler scent shot pack of bakery scents. Now, I'm not a huge Twilight fan by any stretch of the imagination. I read the books, but I wait until the movies are out on DVD - no crazy midnight showings for me! However, Bella Swan has become my #1 love :) I'm ordering my first Glitter Tureen candle in Bella Swan the next time Victoria has a sale. I'll save the rest of my craziness for another time.

So basically this blog is going to be a place for me to do scent reviews, order hauls, and whatever else I may feel like (it's my blog right?) We'll see how good I am about keeping this up, but I'm going to try my hardest!  First real post will probably be January first.

Remember to keep those wicks trimmed!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment